REVIEW: Dept Store vs Drug Store Mascara

Where I will spend upwards of $15-20 for a nail polish, I had always said that I would not spend an exorbitant amount for mascara. I had always found that I get a great results from the drug store brands of mascara so I saw no reason to spend $20, $30, $40 for a department store mascara.  


But back in September, Ulta had their 21 days of Beauty in which they had Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara, Buy One, Get One Free; not 50% off, but FREE.  So that put them at $8.50 each. That was a price I could tolerate. And this gave me the opportunity to actually do a comparison between drug store and department store mascaras.
So I decided to compare it to Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express; which I had been using for several months.  Maybelline is a drug store brand that can be found everywhere, Walmart, Walgreens, grocery stores, Target, and CVS.  It averages $7.49 and can often be found on sale, Buy One, Get One at 50% off.  Maybelline had been one of two brands that I had used for decades. Whenever I found a duo pack, I would stock up. But I was adamant that I would not spend a lot for mascara.

Both are water-proof and did not flake. Both gave me the volume I was seeking. Both are washable and easily removed with "soap and water". I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple as my facial cleasner and have no trouble removing the product. Comparing the brushes, I preferred the Maybelline Falsie "Spoon" brush over the Tarte brush. It is suited to prevent clumping, but separating. And makes getting to the shorter lashes easy.  On their own merits, I had no issues with either.  But is one better than the other, or is the more expensive mascara "better than" the drug store brand?  I'm going to let the results speak for themselves. 
To the left is the Tarte, Lights, Camera, Lashes before and after. To the right is the Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express before and after.

What do you think? And which do you prefer department store or drug store mascaras? What is your favorite mascara? I am happy with both. But I prefer the results of the Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Mascara, therefore, there is no need to spend unnecessarily.  I am excited to compare the Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express to the Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Flared. Will I get my Angel Wings? LOL! 

Grace, Peace, and Blessings. 


--- 
*FTC Disclaimer:
  • These products were purchased with my own monies.
  • I am not being compensated in any manner for this review.
  • I am not affiliated with either company.
  • These are my honest opinions of these products. 

1 comment

  1. So glad you did this comparison. I've been wondering about the Falsies. On commercials it still looks like the models have on false lashes, so I was a lot skeptical. Filled out your lashes nicely - not clumpy or crusty looking. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

***Please Read Before Commenting***
Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I appreciate your constructive comments and suggestions. However, I must insist on NO spamming links. If you do, I must delete your comment. Don't worry, I will be able to follow you, when you comment, your name is clickable and that link itself takes me to your profile on blogger. If you would like for me to visit your blog, simply email me and I will be sure to visit. Again, I always appreciate hearing from my followers and visitors. Grace, Peace, Joy, and Blessings.